Tired of wearing the basic shirt and jeans combo? If you’re dedicated to upgrading your wardrobe this year or may be looking for something to wear for your upcoming baseball date, then a baseball jersey is just the piece you need.
Before you leave the house, make sure you know how to wear a baseball jersey first. There’s a fine line between looking stylish and feeling like you’re a try-hard baseball fan. Remember, you’re carrying a whole baseball team in your outfit, so you better do it right!
This guide will help you style your baseball jerseys properly so you can get an insta-worthy OOTD every time.
Table of Contents
- Ways to Wear a Baseball Jersey
- Items to Pair With Your Baseball Jersey
- Basic Information About Baseball Jerseys
- What to Mix With a Baseball Jersey
- What Should You Not Do While Wearing a Baseball Jersey?
- Helpful Tips
Ways to Wear a Baseball Jersey
There are a lot of ways one could style a baseball jersey. The great thing about jerseys is you can incorporate them into almost all fashion styles:
These styles can easily use a baseball jersey shirt as an element, but you can also incorporate it with bohemian and grunge styles if you need to. You just need to know how to make it work.
You don’t have to stress out about which style to wear, as this will come naturally depending on your personality.
Items to Pair With Your Baseball Jersey
To make a banging outfit with your baseball jersey, make sure you have at least a few of these items in your closet:
- Baseball Jersey
- Cap or Beenie
Now that all your items are ready, let’s get into the styling!
1st Way: Keep it Crisp and Simple
The simplest and safest way to wear a baseball jersey casually is to keep the rest of your outfit simple. A baseball jersey with your favorite team on the front and your idol’s number on the back is enough to make heads turn.
For this casual and classic look, find a pair of basic jeans or wear your jerseys with shorts. You can wear a plain shirt underneath and leave the jersey unbuttoned for a more effortless look.
For your footwear, try to look for a sneaker that matches your team’s color. You can never go wrong with white sneakers too!
2nd Way: Conquer the Streets
Another popular baseball jersey fashion is street style.
To achieve this, you need to tweak style number one just a little bit. Instead of pairing your jersey with your basic jeans, take a pair of dark-wash denim jeans or sweatpants, whichever is more comfortable for you.
This alone can amp up your basic outfit, but you can add a bit more for an authentic street-style look. Consider the color of your team’s logo, and from there, find pieces of clothing that match. You can wear socks in those colors and even a team cap if you have one.
A beanie can also do the job; some edgy sunnies would complete this look.
3rd Way: David Ortiz Approved – Layer it up
If you thought the question ‘how to wear a baseball jersey’ would only apply in the summertime, think again. This clothing can be worn any time of the year, even in winter.
To keep yourself warm while being stylish, you need to know how to dress up a baseball jersey. A quick way to do this is to layer your baseball jersey with a hoodie. Pro baseball players like David Ortiz give this look a thumbs up!
This will result in a mix of sporty yet casual looks when it’s chilly outside. To look more put together, pick a hoodie and a pair of jeans or sweats that match in color.
Look in the mirror and try wearing your hoodie under or even over your jersey and see yourself rock a sporty look instantly.
You can also have fun with other colors of the hoodie! The safest way is to match the hoodie with the team logo’s color. Remember to keep your bottom wear neutral for a more cohesive look.
4th Way: Baseball Jersey Chic
The baseball fan community stays inclusive, and gals can rock some cute baseball jersey outfits.
If you identify as a woman, you can try the ways we mentioned above. However, we have tips for you if you want to achieve a more chic look.
The cutest way to wear a baseball jersey as a girl is to get one that’s too big. You have more room to style it from here with other pieces of clothing.
For one, you can tuck it under high waisted denim shorts.
A more flowy look requires you to wear a tank top, cropped top, or a cute bra. Leave the jersey unbuttoned and pair it with some denim or biker shorts.
Now if you’re looking for edgier outfit ideas, put on some knee-high booties. You can wear a body con dress under an unbuttoned jersey or button it down for a sexier look.
Basic Information About Baseball Jerseys
Many changes had been made before the current baseball jerseys we now use entered men’s and women’s fashion.
It was in 1906 that the New York Giants debuted the collarless jersey. Before that, players would wear a white flannel shirt, blue woolen pants, and a straw hat.
Player numbers were worn on the sleeves from 1916 until 1929. The Indians and the Yankees were the first to wear them at the back, and every Major League team did the same by the end of 1932.
Jerseys with the player’s last name displayed on the back were first used in 1960 by the White Socks.
Today, baseball jerseys are made of polyester. Polyester is a durable fabric that doesn’t absorb moisture, making the uniforms look good even if the players are already sweating on the field.
What to Mix With a Baseball Jersey
Aside from the items we mentioned above, here’s the answer to ‘what to wear with a baseball jersey’:
- Cargo pants
- Tank tops
- Chains (see why baseball players wear chains)
What Should You Not Do While Wearing a Baseball Jersey?
Styling a baseball jersey is simple. However, there are some no-nos while wearing one:
- If you’re a guy, don’t wear skinny jeans that are too tight. Balance is essential in fashion, and wearing a baggy jersey with super-tight jeans is not cute.
- Don’t go overboard with colors. The rule of thumb while wearing a jersey is to make it the focal point of your outfit, so refrain from wearing too many contrasting colors. Stick with the team’s color, and you’re good to go.
- When watching a baseball game, don’t wear jerseys that don’t belong to any of the teams playing.
- Avoid layering in the summertime. We’ll explain later that jerseys aren’t as breathable as cotton, so be mindful of the weather when you plan to wear your baseball jerseys.
Tip #1: Different types of baseball jerseys
You have many options when you want to wear a baseball jersey. Knowing them can help you decide which would go well with your style.
- These jerseys are the exact ones players use in the game. They’re pricier but ultimately the best ones you can get.
- If you’re on a budget and want that die-hard baseball fan look, replica jerseys are the way to go.
- If you want to pay homage to your favorite baseball player.
- Batting Practice. A unique way to rock a baseball jersey is to wear a batting practice one. They’re lighter and can be layered with a lot of other pieces.
Tip #2: Care and maintenance of baseball jersey
Follow these cleaning tips to maintain the mint condition of your baseball jerseys:
- If you had too much fun while wearing your jersey and went home with some stains, try a mix of white vinegar and water and gently remove it with a toothbrush.
- Undo the buttons and turn the jersey inside out when placing them inside the washer.
- Only use gentle detergent and warm water while washing your baseball jersey.
- Always air-dry your baseball jersey.
Tip #3: Tips to choose the baseball jersey
Here are a few more tips on how you can choose your baseball jersey for your next game date:
- Think about your style and how a specific baseball jersey can go with your own clothes.
- Consider customizing your own baseball jersey. If you want to put your own flavor to this fashion trend, some companies let you customize your jersey from fit to design.
- Consider the following factors before adding a baseball jersey to your cart:
- Climate for when you’re going to wear the jersey
- Your budget
- Size you want
We’re confident that you know how to wear a baseball jersey, and we’re excited to see you rock that outfit! Which style are you leaning towards? Are you going to wear it casually, street style or sporty? What accessories are you matching it with?
Whichever style you choose, we hope that you’ll have fun wearing whatever style you choose! Just follow our tips for maintenance, and we’re sure you’ll enjoy using them for a long time.
Rogers is a hardcore baseball enthusiast. He joined Nations Baseball as a writer to share his knowledge and help others realize their passions for the sport. Roger is striving towards becoming a coach at his local baseball club.